TrainSpotter with Right-Angle Sensor
"I was having problems with the sensors for my grade crossing flashers... As soon as I replaced the sensors with the ISE sensors, all the problems went away and the crossing signals have worked flawlessly." – Jason Klocke. View Jason’s spectacular CGW layout here.
The TrainSpotter makes detection of locomotives or rolling stock easy and reliable. Just place the sensor where its invisible light beam will reflect off the object of interest and you're done - no time-consuming or frustrating adjustments! Based on modern silicon technology, this reflective infrared proximity sensor is tolerant of ambient (background) lighting conditions, be it completely dark or under full lights, with no false triggering.
This version features a right angle mounted sensor, sensing objects next to the PCB. This allows the sensor to be mounted next to the track and detect things beside it, avoiding the need to drill up through the ties. If you're looking for the classic TrainSpotter with its end-mount sensor, it can be ordered here.
- Small size (0.25" x 2.25")
- Right-angle sensor (instead of end-mounted) for simple, next-to-track installation
- No adjustment needed!
- Release time of zero or 5 seconds (solder jumper), custom times available
- Two opposite polarity, open-collector outputs (40V / 250mA capable)
- Tolerant of ambient (background) lighting conditions - no false triggering
- 24" pre-stripped wire leads attached to the sensor
- Powered from 5 to 24VDC
- Activate grade crossing signals
- Trigger sounds
- Build an automatic interchange
- Indicate end-of-track in hidden staging yards
- Detect block occupancy for signal systems
- C/MRI track occupancy inputs
The CKT-IRSENSE-RA needs 5 to 24 volts of clean direct current (DC) power to operate. Two opposite polarity outputs are provided, both of which are “open drain” (otherwise known as “open collector”) and act like a switch to the ground or negative lead.
Logic level outputs can be generated by connecting a resistor to pull up the output to the positive supply. Other devices, such as LEDs or relays can also be driven directly and the outputs from multiple sensors can be connected in parallel to combine them into one signal.
2.25"(L) x 0.25"(W) x 0.25"(H)
By default, the release time is zero, but can be set to 5 seconds by shorting two pads (JP1) on the back of board. Custom release times, including up to 23 minutes are also available - contact us for details.
The sensing distance varies with the reflectivity of the object being sensed, but is typically 1.5".
The complete gEDA design files are available on GitHub.
- 4 in stock