Modular Signal System Cascade ABS Signal Module
This product has been discontinued. When existing stock is depleted, we will not build any more except by special arrangement.
Fully integrated and ready-to-use, the MSS-CASCADE contains everything needed to add simple Automatic Block Signaling (ABS) to your layout or module. No programming required! Designed for use at a a block boundary, it provides the Cascade function of the Modular Signal System standard. The MSS-CASCADE integrates two highly-reliable current-based DCC block detectors, an optical detector based on the foolproof Iowa Scaled Engineering CKT-IRSENSE, pre-programmed control logic, LED signal drivers, a rugged and reliable MSS bus interface, and plug-and-play RJ45 connections.
- Completely integrated - no additional detectors or signal driver boards required
- Fully compliant with the Modular Signal System 2.0.0 standard
- Easy installation with connectors and terminal blocks
- Dual current-based DCC block detectors with adjustable sensitivity
- Isolated detection to prevent coupling track power and signal systems
- Integrated, highly reliable optical detector
- Capable of driving a wide variety of signal heads
- 3 LED common anode (+)
- 3 LED common cathode (-)
- Red/green single LED, 3 wire common anode (+)
- Red/green single LED, 3 wire common cathode (-)
- Red/green single LED, 2 wire
- Supports single or dual headed signals for each direction
- Supports MSS “diverging approach indication”
- Configurable signal aspects and approach lighting
- Auxiliary occupancy input for both A and B blocks
- Rugged and reliable MSS bus drivers
- Plug-and-play RJ45 connections
- Powered from 8V to 20V AC or DC accessory power
3.9"(L) x 3.6"(W)
Many thanks to Gregg Fuhriman and other contributors for the development and release of the Modular Signal System specification.
The complete gEDA design files are available on GitHub.
- 0 in stock - contact us for lead time.
News & Application Notes
Introducing Modular Signal System Components
You may have heard about the Modular Signal System – it’s been slowly gaining support in the Free-mo modular community for about a decade now. If you haven’t, read on – it’s an exciting new (well, somewhat new) option to bring ABS signalling and more to your model railroad.
The initial Modular Signal System (MSS for short) proposal was put forth by Gregg Fuhriman in the February 2005 issue of RailModel Journal. He’d developed the idea along with others to bring simple signalling capabilites to Free-mo modular meets. Traditional solutions, using pieces such as C/MRI or Loconet-based systems, are impossibly cumbersome to deal with in an infinitely-reconfigurable modular setup with participants coming from all over. What was needed was an acceptably realistic signalling system that was plug-and-play – no reconfiguration required for the myriad of ways their modules could be put together at each meet.